Met Gala 2021: Cosplay Your Fave With Our List of Fashion Do’s
After the Covid-19 pandemic postponed festivities for a year, this year's Met Gala marked a resurgence in fashion. The theme, America: The Lexicon of Fashion, threw many celebrities for a loop. However, there were some who combined their lineage, fashion prowess, and favorite stars of Hollywood’s past into groundbreaking ensembles. Here are our top 20 looks (in no particular order) from fashion’s Super Bowl, just in time for a unique Halloween or Cosplay look.
1. Iman wowed in a custom Dolce and Gabbana pantsuit, hoop skirt, and feather headress created by Harris Reed. The sheen of the gold plated, exposed hoop skirt and feather head piece boasts hours of hand painting done by design staff.
2. Model Alton Mason stunned in a custom Theophilo suit and United Nude x Shaun Ross boots. The embroidered two piece was a welcome diverge from a slew of black tuxes, and Jacob and Co. jewels shone off of Mason’s perfectly sculpted cheekbones.
3. Normani stormed the red carpet in a straight off the runway, chartreuse Valentino gown and Lorraine Shwartz jewelry. Matching eyeshadow and turquoise, Lorraine Schwartz jewels completed this glowy look.
4. Indigenous model Quannah Chasinghorse was a highlight of the evening in a stunning gold, Dundas gown and turquoise Navajo jewelry. An homage to her Native roots, her family heirloom jewelry couldn’t be more quintessentially American.
5. Serena Williams brought star power to a new level in an embellished,Gucci leotard, ombré feather cape, and Nude Barre 6pm fishnets. Old-Hollywood body waves crowned her head to exemplify the Americana theme of the evening.
6. Tessa Thompson glowed in an Iris Van Herpen mini-dress and Rombaut cowboy boots. Her country style boots and hat paid homage to the Wild West.
7. Lupita Nyong’o stepped out in a Versace dress that drew inspiration from the cornerstone of American fabric, denim. Nyong'o's beautiful fro was sculpted to look like tulle, an ode to the diversity of black hair.
8. Yara Shahidi took inspiration from icon Josephine Baker in an embellished Dior gown. Shahidi’s new status as a Dior ambassador coincided perfectly with Baker’s longtime relationship with Christian Dior during her career.
9. Gemma Chan channeled the first, Chinese-American Hollywood movie star Anna May Wong in a Dragon encrusted Prabal Gurung look and Harry Winston jewels.
10. Paloma Elsesser embodied Old Hollywood glamour in a red, figure hugging Zac Posen gown. Inspired by the sculpted works of Charles James, Elesser and stylist Carlos Nazario aimed to reclaim the Golden Age Starlet.
11. Met Gala co-chair, Billie Eilish, broke the internet in a custom Oscar de la Renta ball gown inspired by Holiday Barbies and Marilyn Monroe. Cartier jewels solidified Eilish’s glam look.
12. Zoë Kravitz stole the show in a sheer, Saint Laurent crystal gown and matching thong. Kravitz’s chic, french twist updo and Jessica McCormack jewels completed the elegant look.
13. Jennifer Lopez arrived in a Western themed Ralph Lauren dress, fur cape, and cowgirl hat. The high leg slit and plunging neckline added a sexy twist to Wild West fashion.
14. Anok Yai drew inspiration from the legendary Josephine Baker in a crystal embellished Oscar de la Renta gown. Her short crop and feather shawl mimic Harlem Renaissance era glamour.
15. Gabrielle Union turned heads in a custom Iris Van Herpen gown that took about 1,400 hours to make. An optical illusion, the three-dimensional masterpiece was created to mimic “change in America.”
16. Lil Nas X provided a dramatic entrance with three custom looks designed by Donatella Versace herself. Nas’s cloak, gold armor, and sparkly bodysuit coincided with his characteristic, fashion risk taking.
17. Senator Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez sent the internet ablaze in a custom Aurora James gown that read “Tax The Rich” on the back in bold, red letters. AOC’s mission to start a conversation around wealth disparities and tax evasion in the United states definitely worked, as many vocalized their opinions about the frock on social media.
18. Sisters Chloe and Halle Bailey stunned in custom looks designed by sister duo Rodarte. The sisters opted for different vibes, Chloe clad in a white, evening length gown, and Halle in a pink, fringe frock.
19. Queen of R&B Mary J. Blige stunned in a gold Dundas gown. Blige’s matching Cassadei heels and Lorraine Shwartz jewels kept her shining all evening long.
20. The final invitee to walk the red carpet was Met Gala darling, Rihanna. Draped in a Balenciaga hoodie inspired gown and a Stephen Jones Millinery beanie, Rihanna brought African American style to the forefront.
** Photos courtesy of Getty Images and Vogue Magazine **